SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.23 issue5The association between anomalous X-ray findings of the respiratory organs and their clinical manifestation author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Page  

Services on Demand




Related links


Revista de Saúde Pública

On-line version ISSN 1518-8787Print version ISSN 0034-8910


MURILLO B., César; JARAMILLO S., Consuelo; QUINTERO C., Jaime  and  SUAREZ T., Mario. Biology of Anopheles (Kerteszia) neivai H., D. & K., 1913 (Diptera: Culicidae) on the Pacific Coast of Colombia: IV - Age structure and malaria transmission. Rev. Saúde Pública [online]. 1989, vol.23, n.5, pp.363-367. ISSN 1518-8787.

With the aim of determining the dynamics of malaria transmission in the village of Charambirá (Chocó), Colombia, studies on the age structure of Anopheles neivai (a known vector on the Pacific Coast) were undertaken, based on its gonadotrophic status. Mosquitoes were captured indoors at sunset using human bait and bucal aspirators and then maintained in cylindrical cardboard boxes, with damp paper and feeding dispensaries, until dissection on the following day. Of the 200 specimens dissected during September-October 1986, 68 (34%) showed traces of less than two ovipositions, while the rest (66%) evidenced at least three ovipositions. The difference between the first group considered as "non-infective" and the second group considered as "potentially infective" was highly significant (X2 = 10.68; P = 0.001). The study showed that 1.5% of the dissected A. neivai had traces of ten ovipositions demonstrating high longevity and multiple bloodfeedings. The results suggest that there is a considerable risk of contracting malaria in Charambirá at dusk.

Keywords : Malaria [transmission]; Anpheles [anatomy]; Gonads [anatomy]; Oviposition.

        · abstract in Spanish | Portuguese     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )