Revista Panamericana de Salud Pública
versão impressa ISSN 1020-4989
ARIENTI, Héctor M.; GUIGNARD, Susana I.; RINALDI, Diego E. e ELBARCHA, Osvaldo C.. Comparison of two serologic methods for the diagnosis of hydatidosis. Rev Panam Salud Publica [online]. 1997, vol.1, n.5, pp. 376-380. ISSN 1020-4989. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1020-49891997000500006.
The sera of 176 patients with epidemiologic antecedents or radiologic and clinical signs of hydatidosis were tested by counterimmunoelectrophoresis (CIE) and enzyme-linked immunoassay (ELISA). A semipurified antigen from cysts of human origin was used for both techniques. The results were compared with those obtained from complementary radiologic studies and were confirmed by examination of excised cysts. Biopsy confirmed the diagnosis of hydatidosis in 65 patients (37%) and revealed the presence of other diseases in the remaining 111 (63%). Of the original 176 patients, 36 (20.4%) were positive by CIE and 62 (35.2%) by ELISA. Both techniques showed an excellent correlation with postsurgical diagnosis; neither produced any false positives, and the ELISA gave false negative results for only three patients (4.6%) with cysts that were infected, infertile, or calcified to some degree. The paper describes standardization of an inexpensive and easy-to-use microELISA.