SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.14 issue3Identifying barriers to food and nutrition policies in Colombia: a study using the Delphi methodA comparison of three electrocardiogram coding systems for chronic Chagas' disease author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Page  

Services on Demand




Related links


Revista Panamericana de Salud Pública

On-line version ISSN 1680-5348Print version ISSN 1020-4989


GAJADHAR, Tswana; LARA, Alicia; SEALY, Patricia  and  ADESIYUN, Abiodun A.. Microbial contamination of disinfectants and antiseptics in four major hospitals in Trinidad. Rev Panam Salud Publica [online]. 2003, vol.14, n.3, pp.193-199. ISSN 1680-5348.

OBJECTIVE: To assess the microbial contamination of disinfectants and antiseptics in major hospitals on the Caribbean island of Trinidad. METHODS: For this cross-sectional study, disinfectants and antiseptics were sampled from the pharmacy departments, the pediatric/neonatal wards, and the surgical wards of four hospitals. The samples were cultured for aerobic bacteria on nutrient agar using the surface plating method. The antibiotic sensitivity of bacterial isolates was determined by the disk diffusion method, using 14 antimicrobial agents. We studied a total of 180 disinfectant/antiseptic samples: 60 of chlorhexidine gluconate (Hibitane), 60 of chlorhexidine gluconate and cetrimonium bromide (Savlon), and 60 of methylated spirit. RESULTS: Of the 180 samples studied, 11 of them (6.1%) were contaminated by aerobic bacteria. All bacteria isolated were Pseudomonas spp. Of the 11 contaminated samples, 6 of them (54.5%) occurred at the pharmacy level while 5 (45.5%) were from diluted pre-use or in-use samples in the pediatric/neonatal wards or the surgical wards. Chlorhexidine gluconate and cetrimonium bromide accounted for 9 of the 11 contaminated disinfectants/antiseptics (81.8%), and chlorhexidine gluconate accounted for the remaining 2 (18.2%). Only two of the four hospitals had contaminated disinfectant/antiseptic samples. All 24 isolates of Pseudomonas spp. tested were resistant to one or more of the 14 antimicrobial agents tested, with the prevalence of resistance to ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, tobramycin, and gentamicin being 58.3%, 50.0%, 45.8%, and 41.7%, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: Our results show that contaminated disinfectants/antiseptics pose a health risk to patients, particularly in the pediatric and surgical wards. The high prevalence of resistance to antimicrobial agents exhibited by the Pseudomonas spp. that were isolated is of special therapeutic concern.

Keywords : Disinfectants; anti-infective agents [local]; hospitals [infection control]; Pseudomonas; Trinidad and Tobago.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in English     · English ( pdf )