Revista Panamericana de Salud Pública
versión impresa ISSN 1020-4989
DIAS, Aldo Angelim; NARVAI, Paulo Capel y REGO, Delane Maria. Scientific output trends in oral health in Brazil. Rev Panam Salud Publica [online]. 2008, vol.24, n.1, pp. 54-60. ISSN 1020-4989. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1020-49892008000700007.
OBJECTIVE: To describe dental research trends in Brazil (especially population-based oral health) in the early Twenty-first Century. METHODS: The abstracts of studies presented at meetings of the Brazilian Society for Dental Medicine Research (Sociedade Brasileira de Pesquisa Odontológica) from 2001-2006 were assessed in terms of methodological design (aggregate or population-based and individual-based studies, observational and intervention studies, cross-sectional and longitudinal studies); general type (literature review, studies with human subjects, and laboratory studies); and classification into one of the 19 specialty categories recognized by the Brazilian Federal Dentistry Council. Of the 10 406 abstracts presented in this period, 5 203 (50%) were reviewed. RESULTS: Concerning methodological design, 87.5% of the abstracts referred to individual-based studies, whereas 12.5% were of aggregate studies. Concerning the general category, 41.7% referred to studies with human subjects. The remaining abstracts (58.3%) described in vitro (31.1%) or in vivo (23.6%) laboratory research and literature reviews (3.6%). Concerning the Council's specialty categories, only five had a frequency higher than 10.0%: esthetic dentistry, periodontics, endodontics, pediatric dentistry, and population-based oral health. CONCLUSIONS: Brazil's scientific output in the field of oral health for the period 2001-2006 was balanced, with increasing interest in the area of population-based oral health.
Palabras llave : Dentistry; research [trends]; Brazil.