GHADDAR, Suad; BROWN, Cynthia J.; PAGAN, José A.
DIAZ, Violeta. Acculturation and healthy lifestyle habits among Hispanics in United States-Mexico border communities. Rev Panam Salud Publica [online].
vol.28, n.3, pp. 190-197.
2. Ayala GX, Baquero B, Klinger S. A systematic review of the relationship between acculturation and diet among Latinos in the United States: implications for future research. J Am Diet Assoc. 2008;108(8):133044. [ Links ]
3. Lara M, Gamboa C, Kahramanian MI, Morales LS, Bautista DE. Acculturation and Latino health in the United States: a review of the literature and its sociopolitical context. Annu Rev Public Health. 2005;26(1):36797. [ Links ]
4. Pérez-Escamilla R, Putnik P. The role of acculturation in nutrition, lifestyle, and incidence of type 2 diabetes among Latinos. J Nutr. 2007;137(4):86070. [ Links ]
5. Hadley J, Cunningham P, Hargraves JL. Would safety-net expansions offset reduced access resulting from lost insurance coverage? Race/ethnicity differences. Health Aff (Millwood). 2006;25(6):167987. [ Links ]
6. Forrest CB, Whelan EM. Primary care safety-net delivery sites in the United States: a comparison of community health centers, hospital outpatient departments, and physician's offices. J Am Med Assoc. 2000;284(16):207783. [ Links ]
7. U.S. Census Bureau, Small Area Health Insurance Estimates Program. 2005 Small Area Health Insurance Estimates (SAHIE) Interactive Data Tool. Washington, D.C.: USCB; 2005. [ Links ]
8. Center for Studying Health System Change. Community Tracking Study Household Survey. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research; 2003 [distributor] [ Links ]
9. Marín G, Sabogal F, Marin B, Otero-Sabogal R, Pérez-Stable E. Development of a short acculturation scale for Hispanics. Hisp J Behav Sci. 1987;9(2):183205. [ Links ]
10. Evenson K, Sarmiento O, Ayala GX. Acculturation and physical activity among North Carolina Latina immigrants. Soc Sci Med. 2004; 59(12):250922. [ Links ]
11. Mainous AG 3rd, Diaz VA, Geesey ME. Acculturation and healthy lifestyle among Latinos with diabetes. Ann Fam Med. 2008; 6(2):1317. [ Links ]
12. Mainous AG 3rd, Majeed A, Koopman RJ, Baker R, Everett CJ, Tilley BC, et al. Acculturation and diabetes among Hispanics: evidence from the 19992002 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Public Health Rep. 2006;121(1):606. [ Links ]
13. SPSS Inc. SPSS 16.0 [computer program]. Chicago, IL: SPSS Inc; 2007. [ Links ]
14. Abraído-Lanza AF, Chao MT, Flórez KR. Do healthy behaviors decline with greater acculturation? Implications for the Latino mortality paradox. Soc Sci Med. 2005;61(6):124355. [ Links ]
15. Crespo CJ, Smit E, Carter-Pokras O, Andersen R. Acculturation and leisure-time physical inactivity in Mexican American adults: results from NHANES III, 19881994. Am J Public Health. 2001;91(8):12547. [ Links ]
16. Neuhouser ML, Thompson B, Coronado G, Solomon CC. Higher fat intake and lower fruit and vegetables intakes are associated with greater acculturation among Mexicans living in Washington State. J Am Diet Assoc. 2004;104(1):517. [ Links ]
17. Sharma S, Murphy SP, Wilkens LR, Shen L, Hankin JH, Monroe KR, et al. Adherence to the food guide pyramid recommendations among African Americans and Latinos: results from the Multiethnic Cohort. J Am Diet Assoc. 2004;104(12):18737. [ Links ]
18. Norman S, Castro C, Albright C, King A. Comparing acculturation models in evaluating dietary habits among low-income Hispanic women. Ethn Dis. 2004;14(3):399404. [ Links ]
19. Hazuda HP, Haffner SM, Stern MP, Eifler CW. Effects of acculturation and socioeconomic status on obesity and diabetes in Mexican Americans. The San Antonio heart study. Am J Epidemiol. 1988;128(6):1289301. [ Links ]
20. Teufel-Shone NI, Drummon R, Rawiel U. Developing and adapting a family-based diabetes program at the U.S.-Mexico border. Prev Chronic Dis. 2005;2(1):A20. [ Links ]
21. Hunt LM, Schneider S, Comer B. Should "acculturation" be a variable in health research? A critical review of research on US Hispanics. Soc Sci Med. 2004;59(5):97386. [ Links ]