Esporotricose urbana e gatos
Esporotricosis urbano y gatos
Beuy JoobI; Viroj WiwanitkitII,III,IV,V
IMedical Academic Center, Bangkok, Thailand
IIWiwanitkit House, Bangkok, Thailand
IIIHainan Medical University, Haikou, China
IVFaculty of Medicine, University of Nis, Nis, Serbia
VJoseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji, Nigeria
The report on urban sporotrichosis in Rio de Janeiro is very interesting 1. Silva et al. 1 (p. 1867) noted that "the leading source of infection was wounds caused by domestic cats, which contributed to the spread of sporotrichosis in this urban area". Indeed, it is important to consider this disease in pets nowadays. A similar situation of cat related sporotrichosis has also been reported in Malaysia 2. Tang et al. 2 noted that "cat scratches or cat bites" were common. In fact, sporotrichosis is not a rare disease in cats 3. Changing patterns in feeding cats and habits such as sleeping or eating with cats are common and this can lead to many serious unexpected zoonosis (such as toxocariasis, giardiasis, etc. 4,5).
1. Silva MBT, Costa MMM, Torres CCS, Galhardo MCG, Valle ACF, Magalhães MAFM, Sabroza PC, Oliveira RM. Esporotricose urbana: epidemia negligenciada no Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. Cad Saúde Pública 2012; 28:1867-80.
2. Tang MM, Tang JJ, Gill P, Chang CC, Baba R. Cutaneous sporotrichosis: a six-year review of 19 cases in a tertiary referral center in Malaysia. Int J Dermatol 2012; 51:702-8.
3. Chaves AR, de Campos MP, Barros MB, do Carmo CN, Gremião ID, Pereira SA, et al. Treatment abandonment in feline sporotrichosis study of 147 cases. Zoonoses Public Health 2012; [Epub ahead of print] .
4. Overgaauw PA, van Zutphen L, Hoek D, Yaya FO, Roelfsema J, Pinelli E, et al. Zoonotic parasites in fecal samples and fur from dogs and cats in The Netherlands. Vet Parasitol 2009; 163:115-22.
5. Chomel BB, Sun B. Zoonoses in the bedroom. Emerg Infect Dis 2011; 17:167-72.
Sanitation 1 Medical Academic Center.
Bangkok, Thailand, 10330.
Submitted on 01/Nov/2012
Final version resubmitted on 27/Dec/2012
Approved on 28/Jan/2013